Ronaldinho finally released after spending five months in detention over a forged passport in Paraguay


Talented Brazilian footballer, Ronaldinho,has been released from jail after spending five months in Paraguayan detention over a forged passport.

Judge Gustavo Amarilla also released Ronaldinho’s brother Roberto de Assis Moreira, who also had been held for a month in jail and another four months under house arrest in a hotel in Paraguay’s capital, Asuncion, for the same charge.

The 40-year-old former World Cup winner “is free to travel to whatever country in the world he wants but he must inform us if he changes his permanent residence” for a period of one year, the judge said

“He has no restrictions except for the fulfilment of reparations for damage to society.

Dressed in jeans, a black beret and black shirt, Ronaldinho accepted the terms of his release, which include payment of $90,000 damages. His brother, who is also Ronaldinho’s business manager, must pay $110,000.

The pair are also expected to appear before a judge in Brazil every three months — Ronaldinho for a year and his brother for two.

The former Barcelona player was detained alongside his brother Roberto de Assis Moreira on March 6, after they were accused of entering Paraguay in possession of false passports.

They spent a month behind bars before paying a $1.6 million bail and being released to house arrest at the plush Palmaroga Hotel in the historic centre of the Paraguayan capital Asuncion.

Judge Gustavo Amarilla has fixed August 24 to hear the case against the brothers.

Prosecutors have submitted a proposal to the judge that would see Ronaldinho, 40, pay a $90,000 fine “to repair social damage” but be allowed to return home to Brazil where he would have to appear before a judge every three months for a year.

Ronaldinho denies having any knowledge the passports were fake.

His brother who allegedly knew about the false passports would have to pay a $110,000 fine and appear before a judge every three months for two years.

Prosecutors also asked for a two-year suspended prison sentence for Roberto de Assis Moreira, who is also Ronaldinho’s business manager.

The brothers arrived in Paraguay on March 4 without any issues, with Ronaldinho, 2005 Ballon d’Or winner, due to take part in an event in support of disadvantaged children.

However, shortly after their arrival, the pair were taken into police custody when investigators raided their hotel following the discovery they had fake documents.

The investigation has since expanded into a case of possible money laundering.

Tagged : / / /

Suspected serial killer hacks community leader to death in Ogun state

The police in Ogun state is currently searching for a suspected serial killer who allegedly killed a 53-year-old leader in Oluwatedo community, Ogere, in the Ikenne Local Government Area of Ogun State, Olatunji Oladeji,

According to reports, the suspected serial killer, Feyisola Dosumu( picture above) popularly known as Spartan, has been terrorizing members of the community for years and has evaded police arrest.

Family members of the late Oladeji says he was about entering his house after returning from work on Friday, August 21 when he was accosted and attacked by the suspected killer who allegedly used a machete to hack him to death.

Oladeji was rushed to the hospital in the pool of his blood where doctors certified him dead on arrival.

Until his death, late Oladeji was the Vice-Chairman of the Oluwatedo Community Development Association.

Residents of the area claim the suspected serial killer who is an alleged cultist and has killed over 15 persons in the area.

According to them, most of them have had to abandon their homes for fear of being killed by the suspect. They alleged that only last month, he used a machete to hack a female nurse residing in the area to death, after raping her.

They alleged that the suspect had a mental breakdown sometime back and was admitted at the Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Aro, Abeokuta. He allegedly escaped and returned to the community where he has killed some of the residents.

The spokesperson of the state police command, Abimbola Oyeyemi, who confirmed the incident to newsmen, said some policemen are currently on the trail of the suspect and vowed that the suspect would be arrested and prosecuted accordingly. She said five of the state police tactical team have been drafted to the area to search for the suspect.