Governor Sanwo-Olu awards scholarship to children of policemen who died in Lagos violence

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has awarded scholarship to children of the policemen who died in the violence that eruped in Lagos state few days ago.

The Lagos state government on Wednesday October 28, directed the Lagos State Scholarship Board to award scholarship to the children of the slain officers up to the university level.

It was also learnt that twenty-nine Divisional Police Stations and 17 Police Posts were razed by hoodlums disguising as protesters. Also, six police officers were lynched, 36 critically injured, while 71 police operational vehicles were torched.

Governor Sanwo-Olu who visited the Command Headquarters in Ikeja to boost the morale of officers, promised to rebuild the burnt police stations and also give life insurance to police officers. The Lagos state Governor also promised to compensate the families of the late policemen who died in the violence.

The statement released by the Lagos state government read;

SANWO-OLU AWARDS SCHOLARSHIP TO CHILDREN OF POLICEMEN WHO DIED IN LAGOS VIOLENCE

•Also To Compensate Their Families

•Lagos To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations, Give Life Insurance For Officers

Police officers lynched in the wake of the violence that erupted last week in the State will not die in vain, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu has pledged.

The State Government, on Wednesday, directed the Lagos State Scholarship Board to award scholarship to the children of the slain officers up to the university level.

The State Police Command bore huge loss in personnel, armoury and properties in the violence.

Twenty-nine Divisional Police Stations and 17 Police Posts were razed by hoodlums disguising as protesters. Also, six police officers were lynched, 36 critically injured, while 71 police operational vehicles were torched.

In spite of the loss, the police said they remained undeterred in performing their constitutional duties.

Sanwo-Olu, on Wednesday, made the offer to take the bill of replacing the logistics lost by the police when he visited the Command Headquarters in Ikeja to boost the morale of officers, following the demoralising events of the past week in which police officers and their stations were targeted by hoodlums.

The Governor got the assurance of the police’s commitment to strengthen security across the State from the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Hakeem Odumosu.

Sanwo-Olu said the statutory duties of the Police could not be wished away because of the actions of a few bad eggs, noting that the impact of the police officers’ absence on the roads was generally felt by residents.

Tagged : / / / /

Former Gombe governor, Senator Goje takes beautiful new bride three years after death of his first wife

Former Governor of Gombe State, Senator Muhammad Danjuma Goje has taken a beautiful new wife identified as Aminatu Dahiru Binani Chiroma, three years after he lost his first wife.

Former Gombe governor, Senator Goje takes beautiful new bride three years after death of his first wife

The wedding ceremony which was held at the weekend in Asokoro, Abuja was attended by top political figures including President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) Senators, Governor Ganduje of Kano, among others.

It will be recalled that the Senator representing Gombe Central in the National Assembly, lost his first wife, Hajiya Yelwa Goje in 2017. She was aged 55.

His new wife is said to be the Group Managing Director of Binani Group of Companies.

See more photos below…

Former Gombe governor, Senator Goje takes beautiful new bride three years after death of his first wife

Former Gombe governor, Senator Goje takes beautiful new bride three years after death of his first wife
Former Gombe governor, Senator Goje takes beautiful new bride three years after death of his first wife

Tagged : / / /

2023: I’ll build a 20th century economy if Nigerians make me President- Orji Uzor Kalu

Senate chief whip, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu has vowed to build a 21st century economy if Nigerians make him president in 2023.

In December 2019, the Lagos federal high court convicted the chief whip of money laundering to the tune of N7.1 billion.

Kalu was released from the Kuje Correctional Centre in June after spending five months in prison.

Orji Kalu said this on a programme at a radio station in Umuahia, Abia state capital, while speaking on his presidential ambition in 2023.

He said:

Yes, if you give me the presidency, why not, I will take. I am capable of doing the job.

“The problem is who is capable of doing the job. For now, I am focusing on my constituency; there is a lot of job to be done.

“If you give me opportunity, I will like to go back to the Senate for a second term, but if the people of Nigeria want me to be president, they will show the hand. I can do the job. I can build a 21st century economy for our people.”

Tagged : / /

Nigerian govt announces date for commencement of WAEC exam

The Federal Ministry of Education on Monday announced that secondary schools for exit classes will resume on August 4th.

This was announced in a statement signed by its Director Press and Public Relation, Ben Goong.

Ben Goong said the decision was reached at a virtual consultative meeting between the Federal Ministry of Education of the 36 states, the Nigerian Union of Teachers, NUT, the proprietors of private schools and the Chief Executive of examination bodies.

According to Ben Gooong, SS3 students will have two weeks within which to prepare for the West African Examinations (WAEC) examination.

Tagged : /

WASSCE cancellation may breed frustration, criminality among registered students– Afe Babalola

Legal luminary and the founder of Afe Babalola University, Afe Babalola, has kicked against the decision of the Federal government to cancel Nigeria’s participation in the 2020 West African Senior School Certificate Examination WASSCE, saying ”a year of idleness for 1.5million people may breed frustration and promote criminality”.

Recall that on July 8, the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, announced that Nigeria will not be reopening schools for graduating students scheduled to write the examination due to the increasing number of confirmed COVID19 cases in the country.

Babalola is of the opinion that the decision of the Federal government to cancel the examination is flawed. In a statement released today July 14, Babalola said rather than cancel the examination, the Federal Government should allow schools conduct the examinations within their halls so the students can obey all the COVID-19 protocols such as social distancing and others.

His statement entitled, ‘Nigeria’s non-participation in the 2020 WASCE: Irreparable damage,’ reads in part

“If the Federal Government insists that there would be no WASSCE this year, the students are not just losing one calendar year, but losing an integral part of their entire lives which is gone forever by such declaration. We should always remember that after all, ‘time is life and life is time’.

The Federal Government should allow the WASSCE to take place in the empty spaces which are wasting away in our tertiary institutions, secondary schools and elementary schools which can conveniently accommodate them with a lot of social distancing and due compliance with World Health Organisation rules.

It is my firm belief that the future of these 1.5 million young Nigerians who have registered for WAEC should not be put in jeopardy. It is a well known fact that all schools, colleges and tertiary institutions in the country are currently shut down. This affords the Federal Government the opportunity to use them for WAEC examination.

What the government should do is to prepare the empty rooms for WAEC examination – fumigate the halls and the premises, use face mask, provide sanitizers and ensure that WHO rules are obeyed to the letter.”

He wondered why Nigeria is the only country pulling out of the examination within the West African region.

What steps have the other countries taken which would enable them to take WAEC examination which we cannot take?

Are we saying that the other four countries do not appreciate the lives of their students? Why was the issue not turned over to the Nigerian body of WAEC or the general body of WAEC in Accra before the declaration of withdrawal to Nigeria?

Did the Hon. Minister take into consideration the moral and legal implication of Nigeria as a signatory to WAEC laws or the effect of such unilateral declaration of withdrawal?

All that is required to take the WAEC examination is proper management, consultation, and discussion instead of unilateral cancellation of annual international convention,” Babalola stated.

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Reno Omokri and some other Nigerians have also come out to speak against the government’s decision to cancel the examination

Tagged : / /

Buhari replaces two non-career Ambassadors-designate

President Muhammadu Buhari has notified the senate of new replacements for two non-career Ambassadors-designate.

In the letter read during plenary by Senate President Ahmad Lawan, President Buhari sought to replace the earlier nomination of Mr. Oboro Effiong Akpabio and Brigadier General Bwala Yusuf Bukar from Akwa-Ibom and Borno State respectively.

It read;

“In accordance to Section 171(1)(2)(c) and subsection (4) of the 1999 Constitution as amended, I have the honour to forward for confirmation by the Senate, the appointment of Mr. John J. Usanga and Air Commodore Peter Anda Bakiya Gana (rtd) from Akwa-Ibom and Niger State respectively, as non-career Ambassadors-designate.

“The Senate is kindly requested to recall my earlier submission of Mr. Oboro Effiong Akpabio and Brigadier General Bwala Yusuf Bukar from Akwa-Ibom and Borno State respectively, vide letter dated 17th June 2020, I substitute Mr. Oboro Effiong Akpabio with Mr. John J. Usanga (Akwa-Ibom State). I replace Brigadier General Bwala Yusuf Bukar (Borno State) with Air Commodore Peter Anda Bakiya Gana (Niger State).”

However Senator Philip Aduda protested the exclusion of a non-career Ambassador from the FCT. He said the only FCT indigene presently serving as a non-career Ambassador in Sierra Leone, Hafiz Obada was not re-appointed.

Aduda said;

“For the ambassadorial nomination for the non-career, nothing has been said about the one for FCT. It has been silent and we have an Ambassador who is already sitting in Sierra Leone, his name is Ambassador Hafiz Obada. We don’t know what becomes of his fate because other states have been told to remain in their stations or they have been re-appointed.

“My issue is that is it at this time FCT will now lose an Ambassador. It is worrisome to me and the people of the FCT. Sitting here, names have been called for all other states except FCT and we have one.

“Now that particular non-career Ambassadorial slot for the FCT is being taken away from us and is being killed, otherwise we are also entitled to have, and that is what I have consistently said since this list came out.

“So, Mr. President, I hope something can be done to this to help the people of the FCT. We don’t get Ministerial nomination, we don’t get so many of these things, but the small ones that we have is about to be taken away which should not be so”

Senate President Ahmad Lawan who reacted to the complaint, admitted that it was valid. He said;

“I sympathize with the FCT but I know there were twelve non-career Ambassadors who were retained. I don’t know if you have an FCT indigene among those twelve, probably you should check that to see if you would see any FCT indigene, but your complaint is very valid.

“What I’m going to advice is maybe we need to take more political action, so that it doesn’t always come like it is an after-thought. The FCT is to be treated like a state, that’s what the Constitution states, so you deserve one like any other state deserves.”

Tagged : /

PDP presents certificate of return to Gov Obaseki, deputy

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) national chairman, Prince Uche Secondus, on Saturday, June 27 presented a certificate of return to the Edo state governor, Godwin Obaseki and his deputy, Phillip Shaibu.

This is as the duo emerged the governorship and deputy governorship candidates of the PDP in the forthcoming Edo state governorship election.

Secondus also presented the Independent National Electoral (INEC) nomination form for the election to Obaseki and Shaibu.

The brief ceremony was held at the PDP headquarters in Abuja signals the adoption and confirmation of the duo as the PDP candidates for the election.

Members of the PDP’s National Working Committee were at the ceremony to witness the presentation.

Before now, there were rumours that Governor Obaseki would drop his deputy and pick another PDP chieftain as his running mate.

The presentation has, however, put paid to the rumour as the governor is sticking with his deputy as they prepare for the governorship election scheduled for Saturday, September 19.

Tagged : / / /

Nigeria loses another lawmaker amid coronavirus

Chijioke Ugwueze a member of the Enugu state House of Assembly representing Isi-uzo constituency, has been reported dead.

Ugwueze’s death, caused by a heart attack, was confirmed by his younger brother, Ejike, on Saturday, June 20.

The deceased’s brother revealed that Ugwueze was 49 years old and battled with hypertension before his death, The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

The relative added that the law maker died at Enugu state Teaching Hospital Parklane in the evening of Friday, June 19.

Tagged : / / / /

President Buhari , probes Late Abba Kyari’s office, cancels appointments

A report by The Guardian indicates that President Muhammadu Buhari has commenced a probe into the office of the late Chief of Staff Abba Kyari.

According to the report, the investigation may lead to all appointments and approvals made by Kyari without Buhari’s permission being cancelled.

Also, a source within the Presidential Villa quoted in the report, suggested that the new move is as a result of the power block that produced the new chief of staff Ibrahim Gambari fighting back.

Professor Gambari was recently appointed as replacement to Late Abba Kyari by President Buhari.

Though no reason was given for the president’s action, reports suggested no less than 150 memos that didn’t have his authorisation may have been uncovered.

Sources told The Guardian that the directive might just be a continuation of the bickering that produced a deep crack within the ranks of the president’s men last February.

The first sign that all was not okay within Buhari’s inner cabinet emerged in December 2019 when National Security Adviser Babagana Monguno wrote a memo to the president alleging interference by Kyari.

He accused the late Kyari of usurping presidential powers and directed service chiefs to ignore instructions by the latter.

The NSA also accused the chief of staff of sidestepping the president’s directive, to impose his own decision for implementation.

Perhaps the most potent of allegations raised against the chief of staff by the NSA at the time was that he had been flagrantly discarding decisions already taken by the president and imposing his own recommendation(s).

President Buhari goes tough, restricts powers of ministers When the president was re-elected in 2019, he issued a directive to all his appointees to clear files and memos through Kyari on any matter that required presidential attention.

Monguno’s argument in his memo was that the chief of staff did not swear to a constitutional oath and should, therefore, not be seen issuing directives that carry serious implications for the nation.

Meanwhile, there is an indication that President Buhari may have directed his new chief of staff, Professor Gambari to cancel all appointments and approvals made by the late Chief of staff Abba Kyari without his permission.

Kyari died of coronavirus in a Lagos hospital on Friday, April 17 after testing positive to the viral disease. Kyari who is from Borno state was regarded as the most influential personality in the presidency before his death.

Tagged : / / /

President Buhari , probes Late Abba Kyari’s office, cancels appointments

A report by The Guardian indicates that President Muhammadu Buhari has commenced a probe into the office of the late Chief of Staff Abba Kyari.

According to the report, the investigation may lead to all appointments and approvals made by Kyari without Buhari’s permission being cancelled.

Also, a source within the Presidential Villa quoted in the report, suggested that the new move is as a result of the power block that produced the new chief of staff Ibrahim Gambari fighting back.

Professor Gambari was recently appointed as replacement to Late Abba Kyari by President Buhari.

Though no reason was given for the president’s action, reports suggested no less than 150 memos that didn’t have his authorisation may have been uncovered.

Sources told The Guardian that the directive might just be a continuation of the bickering that produced a deep crack within the ranks of the president’s men last February.

The first sign that all was not okay within Buhari’s inner cabinet emerged in December 2019 when National Security Adviser Babagana Monguno wrote a memo to the president alleging interference by Kyari.

He accused the late Kyari of usurping presidential powers and directed service chiefs to ignore instructions by the latter.

The NSA also accused the chief of staff of sidestepping the president’s directive, to impose his own decision for implementation.

Perhaps the most potent of allegations raised against the chief of staff by the NSA at the time was that he had been flagrantly discarding decisions already taken by the president and imposing his own recommendation(s).

President Buhari goes tough, restricts powers of ministers When the president was re-elected in 2019, he issued a directive to all his appointees to clear files and memos through Kyari on any matter that required presidential attention.

Monguno’s argument in his memo was that the chief of staff did not swear to a constitutional oath and should, therefore, not be seen issuing directives that carry serious implications for the nation.

Meanwhile, there is an indication that President Buhari may have directed his new chief of staff, Professor Gambari to cancel all appointments and approvals made by the late Chief of staff Abba Kyari without his permission.

Kyari died of coronavirus in a Lagos hospital on Friday, April 17 after testing positive to the viral disease. Kyari who is from Borno state was regarded as the most influential personality in the presidency before his death.

Tagged : / / /