Governor Sanwo-Olu awards scholarship to children of policemen who died in Lagos violence

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has awarded scholarship to children of the policemen who died in the violence that eruped in Lagos state few days ago.

The Lagos state government on Wednesday October 28, directed the Lagos State Scholarship Board to award scholarship to the children of the slain officers up to the university level.

It was also learnt that twenty-nine Divisional Police Stations and 17 Police Posts were razed by hoodlums disguising as protesters. Also, six police officers were lynched, 36 critically injured, while 71 police operational vehicles were torched.

Governor Sanwo-Olu who visited the Command Headquarters in Ikeja to boost the morale of officers, promised to rebuild the burnt police stations and also give life insurance to police officers. The Lagos state Governor also promised to compensate the families of the late policemen who died in the violence.

The statement released by the Lagos state government read;

SANWO-OLU AWARDS SCHOLARSHIP TO CHILDREN OF POLICEMEN WHO DIED IN LAGOS VIOLENCE

•Also To Compensate Their Families

•Lagos To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations, Give Life Insurance For Officers

Police officers lynched in the wake of the violence that erupted last week in the State will not die in vain, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu has pledged.

The State Government, on Wednesday, directed the Lagos State Scholarship Board to award scholarship to the children of the slain officers up to the university level.

The State Police Command bore huge loss in personnel, armoury and properties in the violence.

Twenty-nine Divisional Police Stations and 17 Police Posts were razed by hoodlums disguising as protesters. Also, six police officers were lynched, 36 critically injured, while 71 police operational vehicles were torched.

In spite of the loss, the police said they remained undeterred in performing their constitutional duties.

Sanwo-Olu, on Wednesday, made the offer to take the bill of replacing the logistics lost by the police when he visited the Command Headquarters in Ikeja to boost the morale of officers, following the demoralising events of the past week in which police officers and their stations were targeted by hoodlums.

The Governor got the assurance of the police’s commitment to strengthen security across the State from the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Hakeem Odumosu.

Sanwo-Olu said the statutory duties of the Police could not be wished away because of the actions of a few bad eggs, noting that the impact of the police officers’ absence on the roads was generally felt by residents.

Tagged : / / / /

Nigerian govt announces date for commencement of WAEC exam

The Federal Ministry of Education on Monday announced that secondary schools for exit classes will resume on August 4th.

This was announced in a statement signed by its Director Press and Public Relation, Ben Goong.

Ben Goong said the decision was reached at a virtual consultative meeting between the Federal Ministry of Education of the 36 states, the Nigerian Union of Teachers, NUT, the proprietors of private schools and the Chief Executive of examination bodies.

According to Ben Gooong, SS3 students will have two weeks within which to prepare for the West African Examinations (WAEC) examination.

Tagged : /

Former Oyo state governor, Abiola Ajimobi, dies at 70

The Ex governor of Oyo State, Abiola Ajimobi, has died. He was 70 years old.

Abiola Ajimobi who has been in coma and on life support, died of COVID19 complications in a hospital in Lagos state today June 25.

The former governor was rumored to have died last Thursday, June 18 but his aides and family members denounced the report asking Nigerians to rather pray for his recovery.

Late Ajimobi was governor between 20011 and 2019.

He is survived by his wife, Florence, and children.

May his soul rest in perfect peace, Amen.

Tagged : / /

Breaking: Court stops Obaseki from participating in PDP primaries

A Federal High Court sitting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has restrained the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki from participating in the governorship primary election organised by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state.

Governor Godwin Obaseki has been stopped by a Federal High Court from participating in the governorship primary of the Peoples Democratic Party.

The primary election is scheduled for 25 June.

The ban order was given 22 June by Justice E.A. Obile of the Federal High Court in Port Harcourt.

It was based on a motion ex parte filed by a PDP member, Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama.

Joined in the suit are Prince Uche Secondus, the PDP, Independent National Electoral Commission, chairman of the party screening committee, Kingsley Chinda and other members of the committee.

Obaseki, an APC renegade, was named as the eighth defendant in the case.

The applicant is seeking a court order to restrain Secondus and the party from allowing Obaseki to buy the forms for the primary, other than those who bought the forms within the timetable initially published for the election.

Justice Obile granted the interim injunction as requested.

The PDP, mindful of the legal minefield announced a waiver for Obaseki, to enable him to participate in the primary election, even though he joined the party only on Friday 19 June last week.

The party also reconvened the Chinda screening committee which had ended its assignment on 5 June

The committee specially screened Obaseki on Saturday 20 June.

All the parties in the case were to be served via substituted means.

Substantive hearing in the case has been adjourned till Wednesday 24 June.

Tagged : / / / /

APC Asks Bauchi Governor To Resign Over Fraud Allegation

Bala Mohammed is at the verge of either being impeached or voluntarily relinquishing his seat as the governor of Bauchi state over a recent allegation of fraud against him.

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) had seized a multi-million naira property structure allocated to Muhammad, a property with rightfully belong to the ministry of agriculture in the state, The Nation reports.

Following this, the APC chapter has called on the governor to resign or face impeachment by the state House of Assembly.

The party said that this ugly development is enough reason for Muhammad to take this path of honour, which is to resign as is done in other more developed countries.

The APC said:

The APC is appalled by the scandalous reports of the seizure of a property, Plot 298, Wuye District, Abuja, linked to Governor Bala Muhammad (GB) by the ICPC.

“This appalling scandal would warrant a resignation or impeachment in saner climes. Thus, we hereby urge Mr. Governor to take the path of honour.”

Tagged : / / /

Oshiomhole’s ward excos lift suspension

Executives of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in ward 10 Estako West local government area of Edo have lifted the suspension order on Comrade Adams Oshiomhole.

Seventeen out of the 27 members of the executives of the All Progressives Congress APC in Ward 10, Etsako West local government of Edo state lifted the suspension slammed on Comrade Adams Oshiomhole.

Details later

Tagged : / / / /

Is former Governor of Oyo State,Abiola Ajimobi Dead

There is a trending news that the former Governor of oyo state Abiola Ajimobi who was recently appointed as the Acting National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress by the National Working Committee of the party is dead due to Coronavirus complications.

Recall that Blinkypeey.com reported that he tested positive to Coronavirus and was reported to be in a critical condition .

He was reported dead while some other sources debunk his death rumor.

The question on the lips of the masses is how true is this reported death rumor.

Details later.

Tagged : / / /

Oyo state reviews curfew, churches and mosques to operate at 25 per cent capacity

The Oyo state government has reviewed the curfew order issued to curb the spread of Coronavirus in the state.

The Governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Taiwo Adisa said the curfew would now run from 10pm to 4am. Churches and mosques were directed to operate at 25 per cent capacity; public gathering in the state are to have not more than 25 persons.

The state government also announced the resumption of classes for Primary Six, JSS3 and SS3 students from Monday June 29; and the resumption of work by all category of workers at the state secretariat from June 22

The statement read;

The schools are to observe the COVID-19 protocols as released by the Task Force, ensure that stations for washing of hands are provided in all schools, while all students are to compulsorily wear face masks.

“Schools are to provide hand wash points with the support of their Parents/Teachers Associations (PTA).

“The resumption of critical classes at the end of June 2020, would be two clear weeks ahead of the state’s drop-dead date of July 15. By that date, it would be decided whether other categories of students will return to the classes.

“Mosques and Churches are to reopen and operate at not more than 25 per cent capacity. The situation will be reviewed within the first two weeks. All worshippers are to compulsorily wear face masks.

“Night clubs are to remain shut even though the existing curfew, which used to run from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. is being aligned with that of the Federal Government, which runs from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.

“The Task Force will not mind shutting down everywhere if evidence emerges that the COVID-19 safety protocols are being violated, or should there be an explosion in the number of cases; however, the state government will intensify enlightenment campaigns to ensure the safety of our people.”

Tagged : /

Former Oyo State Governor, Abiola Ajimobi reportedly in critical condition due to Coronavirus complications

Former Oyo State Governor,Abiola Ajimobi is reportedly in a critical condition over Coronavirus complications.

Abiola Ajimobi is reportedly battling the novel virus in a hospital in Lagos, according to Sahara Reporters. The publication adds that he’s in critical condition.

Ajimobi was rushed to a hospital weeks ago after his health condition deteriorated and has since remained in Intensive Care.

Tagged : / / / /

An 82-year-old woman in Osun state has recovered from coronavirus.

An 82-year-old widow who is also suffering from hypertension has recovered from the coronavirus disease after receiving nine-day treatment at the Isolation and Treatment Centre, Asubiaro, Osogbo, in Osun State.

She was confirmed positive and admitted at the state isolation centre cases.

The state’s Commissioner for Health, Dr. Rafiu Isamotu, who disclosed this in a statement released in Osogbo yesterday, said the octogenarian’s recovery from the virus beats the odds as elderly people with chronic diseases are the highest risk group because most of the time, they are unable to recover from COVID-19.

He noted that the patient, who contracted the disease after coming in contact with an infected person, showed no symptoms of the virus before her sample was collected, except for diarrhoea.

The state’s commissioner for health said:

The story of the 82-year-old widow who recovered from the dreaded coronavirus provides a glimmer of hope, considering that she is a hypertensive patient on medication.

Although when she arrived at our Isolation centre on the 13th of May, she had no cough, difficulty in breathing, sore throat, fever or anosmia associated with the virus except for diarrhoea and we successfully treated her for it and she was stable all through the period of hospitalisation.

“On her 9th day on admission, we carried out a follow-up Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test on her and the result came back negative and she was subsequently discharged on the 24th of May, 2020.

“Furthermore, a follow-up at her home after her discharge revealed that she was stable. He added

Tagged : / /